Saturday, February 11, 2006

Go Big Red: Photo of the Day #41






When Sweden and Russia meet in the Olympics, Ira roots for the Russkies, the team she grew up supporting (they were the Soviet Union in those days). Do her allegiances to Mother Russia's team make her a nativist, I tease.

Ira refuses to take the bait and cooly informs me that I'd better be rooting for Russia like the rest of the family (Daniel too supports Russia over Sweden in athletic competition). Apparently, she'll root for my Big Red, the Nebraska Cornhuskers, only if I root for her Big Red, Russia. When the U.S. plays Russia, of course, I'm permitted (expected) to root for my home team.

Although Ira appears transfixed by the game here, she wasn't watching so intently. In fact, it took us both a few minutues to grasp that this was a women's competition.

Ira wondered why so many of the guys had such long hair. I reasoned that the mullet has always been the favored hairstyle of hockey players, and if these mullets looked somewhat longer than usual, well, that was just the latest fashion. And if the stands were rather empty and the players seemed to be moving slower than the NHL game, that was because this was an early round in the Olympics. But that hockey player sure has a baby face for a 26-year old...

It was only when a Russian player was identified as Tatiana that these were, indeed, ladies. Don't be fooled by the fact that a Swedish player just choked a Russian with a hockey stick before body slamming her to the ice.

No comments: