Wednesday, February 22, 2006

From my Congresswoman

Dear Mr. Rasmussen:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for Mr.
Conyers' resolutions regarding President Bush and Vice President
Cheney's actions leading up to the war in Iraq. I appreciate hearing
from you, and I agree with you.

I am a cosponsor of H.Res. 635, a resolution to authorize an
investigation into whether grounds exist for the impeachment of
President Bush based on his manipulation of pre-war intelligence and
use of torture. I am also a cosponsor of H.Res. 636 and H.Res. 637,
Mr. Conyers' resolutions censuring President Bush and Vice President
Cheney for their actions. I support these resolutions because I share
your frustration with the current Administration. President Bush has
misled members of Congress and the nation in order to garner support
for his pre-emptive and unilateral attack on Iraq. I also believe
President Bush broke the law when he unilaterally authorized secret
wiretaps of U.S. citizens in 2002. President Clinton was impeached by
the House of Representatives for an issue that held significantly less
importance to our democracy and did not lead to the loss of innocent
civilian or military personnel lives.

Congress must act to uphold our democracy and hold President
Bush accountable for his actions. If a resolution impeaching President
Bush comes up for a vote in Congress, I will support it. I will continue
to do all I can to make the Bush Administration accountable to the
American public and the world for the misguided war it started in Iraq
and a Presidential power grab that poses a challenge in the deepest
sense to the integrity of the American system of government.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important subject.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you in
the future.

Sincerely,

Jan Schakowsky,
Member of Congress

No comments: