Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What's Your Political Philosophy?

This thirty-five answer quiz promises to pinpoint your political philosophy.

Not surprisingly, I found some of the questions worded using unnecessary absolutes (e.g. always, never, etc., that made me pause about fully endorsing ideological sentiments or positions with which I generally agree. How that impacted my score, I don't know. Had I more time, I'd retake the quiz to better guage how it determines one's score.

I don't take the results too seriously, though I'lll admit to being a bit disturbed by how high my "Foreign Policy Hawk" and "New Democract" scores were. It's pretty obvious that this quiz was made by a North American, probably from the U.S., since it completely forecloses the possibility of holding a socialist political philosophy. Anyway, here's my results. Do not assume these results accurately reflects my actual political positions, which, for professional reasons, I prefer to keep fairly private.

That said, I do appreciate the fact that my initials are EDR.

You scored as Old School Democrat. Old school Democrats emphasize economic justice and opportunity. The Democratic ideal is best summarized by the Four Freedoms: freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.

Old School Democrat

95%

Green

85%

New Democrat

60%

Foreign Policy Hawk

45%

Libertarian

30%

Socially Conservative Republican

0%

Pro Business Republican

0%

What's Your Political Philosophy?
created with QuizFarm.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came out as an Old School Democrat too.

Amazingly, however, I see you're 15 percent more hawkish than I am - and I'm the one who's done 15 years in the Army! Hee Hee!

I thought the quiz would rate me more libertarian than it did (30 percent), other than that it's pretty dead on. I was most relieved to see that I'm not even a little bit Republican.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't let the Erics dominate the conversation...


Just for kicks, I took it too -- my results are below. It placed me as a "New Democrat", a moniker I'm somewhat embarrassed to be associated with.

Most interesting was that my Libertarian and Green rankings were the same at 55%.

I am a little skeptical about the accuracy of this quiz. Maybe it's because I'm TOTALLY burned out after a hectic week, but try as I did, I could not make sense of this question:

"Flatter tax rates eliminate disincentives on productive and wealth-enhancing activities."

The double negative of "eliminate disincentives" really threw me.

However, in defense of my results, I DO like the notion of a balance between an innovative and responsive government along with business collaboration. That, I believe, gives us some hope for a future with a strong economy.


Rather than being a New Democrat, these days I consider myself a man without a party. The Democrats of late (new and old school), have been totally without balls.

Here in Minnesota, we're closing in on another gubernatorial race this fall. The usual collection of clowns are lining up, all pushing for the status quo. Though it's early on, I'm leaning toward the "third way", with a promising Independence Party candidate, Peter Hutchinson. (Thankfully, he's no Jesse Ventura...)

Time'll tell...


--
You scored as New Democrat.

New Democrats emphasize fiscal conservatism, and have a strong preference for the free market. They believe in small-scale programs that provide targeted help to those in need, while working with the business community.

New Democrat 85%
Old School Democrat 75%
Libertarian 55%
Green 55%
Foreign Policy Hawk 45%
Pro Business Republican 30%
Socially Conservative Repub 10%

wally said...

onkel eric--i'm a green! i do always insist that my mawma pick up my poo. and i'm a bit of hawk, i guess. perhaps because i'm a dominant male kinda guy. but i agree with the other folks that the measure is a little, um, imprecise.

You scored as Green.



The Green Party believes in an America where decisions are made by the people and not by a few giant corporations. Their environmental goal is a sustainable world where nature and human society co-exist in harmony.

Green 90%

Old School Democrat 80%

Foreign Policy Hawk 55%

New Democrat 55%

Libertarian 25%

Socially Conservative Republican 0%

Pro Business Republican 0%