I'd like to have my students maintain blogs for the class, but will not do so unless I can get my class moved to a computer lab.
In my opinion teaching composition is the most difficult assignment one can get working in an English Department. Naturally, then, the task is generally passed along to graduate students and adjunct faculty, whom we all know are not well compensated for their efforts.
Strike up the band: "No-body said it was ea-saaaay..."
Course # 22418 ENGL 161 TR 11:00-12:15
Instructor: Rasmussen, Eric Dean
Course Title: Media Policies and Media Reform
The disciplinary focus of this class is media studies, with an emphasis on analyzing contemporary U.S. media policies and practices. We will be examining how the media system works in the United States and why, in the interest of democracy, academics and activists are calling for citizens to play a greater role in shaping the corporate dominated media sphere. To learn more about the course topic, visit mediaproblem.org and www.freepress.net.
I’ve designed this class to teach you to conduct college-level research and to write intelligently about your findings. At the macro level, you will focus on learning the basics of the craft of research, or writing analytically. That is, having surveyed a range of material on a general topic, media studies, you will then select a narrower sub-topic and independently conduct research on it. Your research project will require you to frame a relevant research question, locate source materials, marshal evidence, construct arguments, and craft a polished 10-page report.
At the micro level, you will focus on mastering the rhetorical forms that structure strong academic and argumentative writing. For each class reading you will be asked to identify the rhetorical moves that the text’s author uses to organize his or her argument. Then, with the aid of templates, you will deploy these same rhetorical moves in your own writing. With regular practice and concentrated effort, you will find that an awareness of these rhetorical moves enables you not only to comprehend better the texts you read but also to generate new ideas and enter into ongoing conversations. In short, you will become a more sophisticated reader, writer and thinker.
Students in this class will need to access and print out online materials regularly. To enroll, you must have daily access to the Internet and a printer.
2 comments:
Hey Eric. I don't know if you remember me, but I took 105 and 109 with you last year and the year before. I am now at U of I Champaign-Urbana. I read your blog and just wanted to comment on your new class. I am studying media here at the U of I, and have taken McChesney's class. In it we read Problem of the Media and I have a notebook full of notes on McChesney's analysis of the media. I think it is great that you are incorporating media into an english class, where people normally wouldn't have such access to such an important issue. (cschum1@uiuc.edu)
Hi, Camille. After two classes of course I remember you. It's good to hear from you. It sounds as though you're into your media studies program at the 'other' U of I. That's great, and it's fantastic that you've taken a class from Robert McChesney. Which class was it? I'm curious to hear more about it as I really respect his work, particularly his ability to blend activism and scholarship. If you get a spare moment, please drop me a line and tell me more.
In my comp class, I plan on teaching The Problem of the Media and probably The Future of Media: Resistance and Reform in the 21st Century (which McChesney co-edited) as well and would like to learn more about the material that McChesney covered in class and and what you took away from it.
I've not yet submitted by book order for this course and am looking for suggestions. If there are any texts - books, essays, websites, films, etc. - you found particularly valuable or thought provoking, please let me know about them. I might want to add them to the class syllabus.
As for bring media studies into an English course: it's not so unsual actually. In literature classes professors generally find it useful to contextualize the fiction, poetry, etc. within the larger sociopolitical/socioeconomic (I think the distinction between the political and the economic is increasingly difficult one to make in postmodern, neoliberal America) sphere. Since I teach primarily 20th and contemporary lit, I find it necessary to situate works within what my colleagues at ebr refer to as the 'new media ecology.' Such situating is particularly necessary for someone like Don DeLillo, a systems novelist who is concerned to discern the way images and narratives circulate in the mass media. If I recall correctly, we read Underworld in the 109 you took with me, right? Having been studying the media you might take another look at the passages about the Texas Highway Killer and the way his crime is mediated through tv and video. And if you're up for more DeLillo read Mao II, which asks us to compare the role and status of novelists and terrorists, both of whom try to shape our sense of reality through narratives - in an age of electronic networks.
Sorry, I didn't mean to go professor on you there and I'm not trying to pimp DeLillo. I just happen to be in the middle of writing an essay about him so he's on the brain.
Anyway, thanks for posting on my blog. Please stay in touch and best of luck with your studies at UIUC!
Post a Comment